Achilles Tendon Tear
Achilles Tendon Tear Treatment Kansas City, MO
What is an Achilles Tendon Tear?
An Achilles tendon tear is a serious injury involving the rupture of the strong band of tissue that connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. This injury can occur during activities involving sudden movements or excessive stress on the Achilles tendon.
Our experienced orthopedic specialists are well-versed in diagnosing and treating Achilles tendon tears, tailoring personalized treatment plans to help you regain mobility and get back to your active lifestyle. Count on Orthopedic Health of Kansas City to guide you through your journey to recovery.
Our Walk-In Orthopedic Urgent Care Clinics are open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm.
In addition, our NKC and Lenexa locations are open on Saturday from 8 am – 6 pm.
What are the Symptoms of an Achilles Tendon Tear?
Recognizing the symptoms of an Achilles tendon tear is essential for prompt treatment. Common signs include:
- Sudden pain – Sharp pain at the back of the heel or calf during physical activity
- A “pop” sensation – Some individuals report hearing a popping sound at the time of injury
- Swelling and bruising – Inflammation and discoloration around the affected area
- Difficulty walking – Difficulty or inability to bear weight on the injured leg
- Limited range of motion – Difficulty pointing the toes downward
- Tenderness – Tenderness and sensitivity when touching the affected area
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, you should seek treatment.
What Causes an Achilles Tendon Tear?
Understanding the factors behind an Achilles tendon tear is crucial for effective treatment. This injury often occurs due to sudden and forceful movements that put excessive strain on the tendon. Common causes include:
- Sudden impact – A sudden and powerful push-off during activities like sprinting or jumping
- Overuse – Repeated stress and strain on the Achilles tendon without proper rest
- Aging – Tendons naturally weaken over time, making them more prone to tears
- Improper footwear – Inadequate footwear support can contribute to tendon injuries
- Tight muscles – Lack of flexibility and tight calf muscles can increase the risk
Treatment for Achilles Tendon Tear
Depending on the severity of your tear, treatment options may include:
- RICE method – Rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) to manage pain and swelling
- Physical therapy – Targeted exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles and improve flexibility
- Bracing or casting – Providing support to the tendon during the healing process
- Medications – Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories to alleviate discomfort
- Surgical repair – For severe tears, surgery might be necessary to reattach the tendon
Your orthopedic doctor will work with you to customize a treatment plan that suits your unique needs and goals.
Achilles Tendon Tear Care in Kansas City
Experience specialized care for Achilles tendon injuries at Orthopedic Health of Kansas City. Our dedicated team of orthopedic specialists understands the challenges that come with such injuries. Whether you’re dealing with an Achilles tendon tear or other related issues, we’re here to provide expert evaluation and personalized treatment options.
Don’t let discomfort limit your mobility—for more information, give us a call or schedule an appointment online. Our orthopedic clinic has multiple locations. We serve patients in Independence, MO, Lenexa, MO, and Kansas City, MO.