Bowed Legs Treatment in Kansas City, MO
What is Bowed Legs?
Bowed legs, also known as genu varum, is a condition where the legs appear curved outward at the knees, causing an unusual gap between the feet when standing. This condition can be a result of various factors, including developmental issues, genetics, or underlying medical conditions.
Our skilled orthopedic specialists are experienced in diagnosing and treating this condition, tailoring effective solutions to enhance your mobility and overall well-being. Trust Orthopedic Health of Kansas City to guide you on your journey to healthier legs.
Our Walk-In Orthopedic Urgent Care Clinics are open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm.
In addition, our NKC and Lenexa locations are open on Saturday from 8 am – 6 pm.
What are the Symptoms of Bowed Legs?
Recognizing the symptoms of bowed legs, or genu varum, can help determine if you or a loved one may be affected. Common signs include:
- Visible curvature
- Gap between knees
- Awkward walking
- Knee or joint pain
- Limited mobility
- Uneven wear on shoes
If you notice any of these symptoms, be sure to seek treatment so you can determine what exactly is wrong so you can potentially improve your leg alignment and functionality.
What Causes Bowed Legs?
Understanding the underlying causes of this condition is crucial for effective treatment.
This condition can come from a variety of factors, such as:
- Growth – Bowed legs are common in infants and toddlers as a normal stage of growth
- Rickets – A deficiency in vitamin D or calcium can lead to bowed legs, particularly in children
- Genetic factors – Some individuals may have a higher risk of developing genu varum
- Bone differences – Conditions like Blount’s disease or skeletal dysplasia can cause leg bowing
- Injury or trauma – Fractures or injuries affecting the leg bones
Treatment for Bowed Legs
Depending on the underlying cause and severity of the condition, comprehensive treatment options to address bowed legs, or genu varum, and enhance your quality of life may include:
- Observation – For infants and toddlers, observation is often recommended as bowed legs can be a normal developmental stage that corrects itself over time
- Nutritional guidance – In cases where nutritional deficiencies contribute to bowed legs, our specialists may provide guidance on appropriate supplements to address these deficiencies
- Bracing – Orthotic devices and braces can be used to support proper leg alignment during periods of growth, particularly in children
- Physical therapy – Targeted exercises and stretches can be prescribed to enhance muscle strength, flexibility, and alignment
- Surgery – In more severe cases or when underlying bone differences are present, surgery might be recommended to ensure lasting improvement in leg alignment
Bowed Legs Care in Kansas City
Discover effective solutions for bowed legs, or genu varum, right here in Kansas City at Orthopedic Health of Kansas City. Our team of skilled orthopedic specialists is dedicated to providing personalized care for individuals dealing with leg alignment issues. If you or your loved one are experiencing bowed legs, schedule a consultation to explore our range of treatment options.