Ankle Replacement Surgeons in Kansas City, MO
Ankle Replacement Treatment in Kansas City, MO
Ankle replacement surgery, also known as ankle arthroplasty, can relieve patients suffering from painful ankle arthritis. Ankle arthroplasty is a type of joint replacement, much like hip and knee replacement, where the damaged joint is replaced with an artificial joint made from plastic and metal. Ankle replacement aims to improve mobility and decrease joint pain.
Our Walk-In Orthopedic Urgent Care Clinics are open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm.
In addition, our NKC and Lenexa locations are open on Saturday from 8 am – 6 pm.
Reasons for Ankle Replacement Surgery
Ankle replacement surgery is typically recommended after treatments like physical therapy, medication, and braces haven’t provided sufficient relief. Ankle replacement surgery may be considered for patients who have:
- Chronic ankle pain and inflammation that impacts their daily activities, limit their mobility and have not responded to conservative treatment.
- Traumatic injuries such as severe ankle fractures that damaged the joint and for whom reconstruction didn’t or won’t work to restore normal joint function.
- Ankle arthritis is one of the most common reasons for ankle replacement, usually due to a history of an ankle injury, wear and tear, or degenerative medical conditions. Arthritis can cause inflammation, swelling, and limited range of motion.
- Prior failed ankle fusion, which led to continued pain and mobility problems. Ankle replacement can help restore ankle function and reduce pain for unsuccessful ankle fusion surgery patients.
Benefits of Ankle Replacement Surgery
Nobody should live with chronic pain that limits their ability to live life to the fullest. If your doctor has recommended ankle replacement surgery, some benefits are:
- Reduced pain and improved mobility
- Improved gait or walking pattern
- Positive changes in quality of life and a return to daily activities and hobbies
- Decreased risk of co-occurring joint problems from overcompensating for the “bad” ankle.
The Ankle Replacement Procedure
Once you and your orthopedic surgeon have determined you’re a good candidate for ankle replacement surgery. In that case, your medical team will get a thorough medical history, examine the ankle, and order imaging tests like an X-ray or MRI to better understand the joint damage. The surgery is done under general anesthesia and requires a short hospital stay. Recovery includes pain management, physical therapy, wearing a splint or cast, and using crutches or a walker until your medical team clears you to begin bearing weight on the joint. You’ll also need to schedule and keep follow-up appointments so your medical team can check for complications and monitor your healing progress.
Ankle Replacement in Kansas City
Ankle replacement surgery is a viable option for patients suffering from severe ankle arthritis, injuries, failed ankle fusions, and other chronic conditions that limit mobility and hurt their quality of life. If you have questions about ankle replacement surgery, call Orthopedic Health of Kansas City to schedule an appointment with one of our foot specialists in Kansas City to determine if you’re a good candidate. We serve patients from Kansas City, MO, Lenexa, KS, and Independence, MO.