Hamstring Injury Treatment Kansas City, MO
A hamstring injury is a strain or tear to the tendons or large muscles at the back of the upper leg or thigh. This is a very common injury among athletes and is placed in three categories:
- Grade 1 – A mild muscle pull or strain.
- Grade 2 – A partial muscle tear.
- Grade 3 – A complete muscle tear.
Our Walk-In Orthopedic Urgent Care Clinics are open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm.
In addition, our NKC and Lenexa locations are open on Saturday from 8 am – 6 pm.
Hamstring Injury Symptoms
There are many different symptoms of a hamstring injury depending on the severity of the injury itself including:
- Sudden pain and tenderness at the back of the thigh
- May be painful to move the leg
- Swelling and bruising at the back of the thigh
- Loss of strength in the leg
- Difficult to walk or stand
Some may experience a “popping” sensation at the time of the injury (severe hamstring tear), and the inability to use that leg.
Hamstring Injury Treatment
Depending on the severity of the injury, treatment may take days to months. Recovery times vary; a severely torn hamstring may take several months to heal and you will be unable to resume activities during this time.
To start treatment, it is important within the first few days to practice RICE therapy; Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Depending on the type of injury, treatment may also include:
- Over-the-counter medications, such as ibuprofen, help reduce swelling and inflammation
- Some may wear a knee splint for a brief time to help stop the leg from moving to help the hamstring heal
- Start doing gentle hamstring stretches after a few days when pain has started to decrease
In some cases, it is beneficial to participate in physical therapy to help gradually introduce exercise and stretching to help increase mobility.
Hamstring Injury Doctors
Our collective experience in orthopedics is unparalleled in the Kansas City region. Orthopedic Health of Kansas City brings together an elite team of nationally recognized physicians into one comprehensive orthopedic practice. Our team works together with one goal in mind – to help you get back to feeling good so you can lead an active life.